Tuesday 19 November 2013

Walking Through The Open Door

Walking Through The Open Door

Hello again. Last time we met I was busy reminiscing over the year and 10 months gone by and times experienced. You now have a rough idea of how I ended up in the TEFL game and thank you for reading the first post and coming back for a second. We all end up doing things for various reasons and we each have our own explanations, you know mine and now I will move on and give a description about what has happened since.

Just after my little heart started to break and I had full custody of my lemon I decided that whilst I couldn't do much to stick my heart back together I could find ways to sweeten up the lemon... Enter something known as a CELTA course. A CELTA course is a course and eventual qualification which is owned by Cambridge University and gives the participant the right to teach English as a Foreign Language. The CELTA course is undertaken, usually for an intensive four weeks but in my case a less intensive nine weeks and the candidate receives a shiny certificate from Cambridge at the end. The CELTA course, once discovered, became my sugar and I started to sprinkle it on the lemon. I met many intelligent, lovely people, some of whom I still hold intelligent conversations with now and to my delight, as well as the introduction of new characters to my life I also passed the course. The passing of the course meant that I could leave the call centre job I had come to dislike with an increasing intensity during every passing minute of each and every day. The day on which I eventually walked out of the call centre's big glassy front doors held joy akin to the last day of one's GCSEs. I spent a few weeks working at a summer school as a teacher and then off I flew to Greece. I stayed in a town on the mainland and I had some nice students; I was in Greece for a couple of months and returned home in December 2012. Being at home again was really very lovely and I was happy to be there but after a few months of working behind one of the bars of an enormous pub chain I checked my bank account. Upon the checking of my bank account and the sheer astonishment at the lack of funds it held, I decided that I'd better do something about it. Do something about it I did, I applied to another summer school and quite unexpectedly got the job. Off to summer school I went and what a truly excellent summer I had. The whole thing from start to finish was utterly fantabulous. Summer school ended and I decided that I'd go to Spain next, which brings me to today, writing to you from a laptop in Seville, Andalusia.

So there we have it, the last 22 months and some days put succinctly into two neat little blog entries. Of course other things happened during those months, I went online dating, I failed my driving test, I discovered exercise, I've given up alcohol entirely and I've developed new skills in abundance. I've also learned lots of things about the English Language which both baffle and wow me on a near enough daily basis. Mostly,  I've discovered that being me is both a pleasure and a privilege. The lemon in my possession is much sweeter now than it was in February 2012, it doesn't really do citrus fruits justice these days because it has more in common with the pineapples in the basket.

See you next time, stay tooned.

No comments:

Post a Comment