Thursday 5 December 2013

The Kids

I am from a large family. My mother is one of seven siblings and whilst my immediate family is made up of my mother, father and sister there are many more faces which make up the fabric of my background. My childhood was made up of many different cousins; I have loads on sides both maternal and paternal. I won't go into the names of everyone but they each have a special place for individual reasons. My generation was split almost into two generations for many years because there are the older cousins and then 5 years after my little sister was born a new face arrived. When he was born in February 1994 I was almost 7 so I was young but I soon realised what a special little thing had arrived, anther special little thing arrived in the April of the same year and as if we weren't blessed enough a third special little thing turned up in June 1996.
  This trio became known as The Kids and whenever we went anywhere en masse, the location of The Kids was always a fact known by everyone. This was especially important in places like London where someone could easily have wandered off with one of my special children and that wasn't really something I was willing to put up with so I became very interested in minding The Kids. We were all in love with The Kids because they provided a much needed escape from the harsh realities of life. The 3rd one is the only girl and she became the apple of my eye, she saw everything through a certain shade of pink and everything in her childhood garden was rosy.
  As I grew up I began to realise that keeping the balance in my head would be a struggle but in The Kids I found an escape route. They had no idea that I was struggling and they continued to grow and develop, oblivious of my internal demands. I was happy to join them in their worlds of fantasy and magic, they made me feel like a normal person when I was with them. I could happily help them learn and discover and as the older cousin I was also able to help with the business of keeping them safe. They were the best source of equilibrium I could find for a long time but what did they go and do? Well they grew up didn't they.
  These days The Kids are 19, 19 and 17. I think that the middle one has impressed me the most, he moved around a lot and so had the potential to stray from his familial ties but he didn't and has chosen to maintain his links with us of his own accord. He's in Afghanistan, serving with the British army now and he's great. He's loyal, he's sweet and he appreciates the people in his life. The oldest one is nothing short of fabulous; he's what you might call a Good All Rounder with a seemingly endless capacity to impress. And the girl? Well she's still finding her way in her own unique slightly alternative looking style as she comes to the end of her schooling and keeps a sideline as a talented artist at the same time.
  They're not kids anymore and their boundless innocence doesn't rescue me from a world of hurt now either. They're moving forward into full blown adulthood with each step just like their colleagues, school mates and friends. It is astonishing to think that they're coming into their own at the same time as I am but there you have it, that's the situation. I've come into full bloom a little late in life but I'm pleased I'm able to share my colourful space with these three people as they learn more about the world around them and the future before them.
  As I said, they're not kids anymore and they don't always like being called The Kids which is a term attributed to them and still used throughout the family and I understand their frustration... however when I call them The Kids, I am reminded of how liberating it can be to simply forget everything that has gone before, clear the slate and view the world through the delighted mind of a child. These days I see them for the young adults that they are but I'll never forget how they helped me through my confusing adolescence and always look on them with the admiration and nostalgia that they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment